What is nasal airway obstruction?
Do you constantly feel congested or like your nose is blocked? If so, you may be suffering from nasal airway obstruction, which can seriously affect the quantity of air you can inhale and your quality of life. Nasal valve obstruction can be caused by several issues and can affect one or all three parts of your nasal valve.
- The septum – the ridge of bone and tissue that divides your nostrils.
- The turbinates – fingerlike tissues that warm, humidify, and direct air as it enters the nasal cavity.
- The lateral wall – the side tissue that forms that outer wall of your nose.
When any of these structures become inflamed, the overall area of the nasal valve decreases, leading to nasal airway obstruction. Symptoms you may experience with nasal airway obstruction include:
- Chronic nasal congestion or stuffiness
- Persistent nasal blockage or obstruction
- Difficulty breathing through the nose
- Difficulty sleeping
- Inability to get enough air during activities